Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Patricia Bauer - B is for Battlecry-A Civil War Alphabet


A Civil War Alphabet

llustrated by David Geister

ISBN 978-1585363568

B is for Battle Cry: A Civil War Alphabet is a beautifully illustrated book that takes readers on a journey into the Civil War, which was one of the bloodiest, most divisive events to take place in America's history. For four years our young country's sense of self and citizenry was shaken to the core as North and South battled each other.

Each letter has a read-aloud poem accessible to younger children. The author wrote each poem to fit into Stephen Foster’s popular 19th century song “Hard Times Come Again No More." This song, as well as a Civil War parody and each poem set to the music can be downloaded from the illustrator’s website: davidgeister.com. The text that accompanies each letter is written at a higher level, and older children and adults will enjoy learning more about the historic battles, renowned leaders, inventions, and inspiring events and documents of the Civil War.

BIOGRAPHY
I am what is often referred to as a “veteran” teacher, which means that I’ve been around for a very long time!! My passions include history, music, art and literature, and I try to share those with my students.

I grew up in a loving family on the shores of Lake Waubesa near Madison, Wisconsin. Minnesota has been my home for most of my adult life and where I raised my two daughters. 1994 was a pivotal year because I completed my Master’s Degree in Liberal Studies from Hamline University, helped open a new middle school and began working as a seasonal costumed interpreter at Historic Fort Snelling. This is where I became fascinated with Minnesota history, as well as living history, and met the love of my life, artist David Geister, whom I married in 2002 in Civil War costume at Fort Snelling. I enjoy portraying nineteenth century characters such as Mary (Mrs. Seth) Eastman, Clara (Mrs. George) Catlin, Mary (Mrs. William) LeDuc and Abigail (Mrs. Josiah) Snelling. I am also an adjunct instructor for Hamline University, where we teach a course on Minnesota history, and I have given many workshops on using picture books to teach American history.

Though I have written for many years, B is for Battle Cry: A Civil War Alphabet is my first published children’s book. To be able to work with my husband on this book was a dream come.

Patricia is a member of the Children’s Literature Network