by Connie Claire Szarke
Set in the Upper Midwest, 1950s-1990, Delicate Armor is the coming-of-age story of Callie Lindstrom, a cheeky girl who shares a special bond with her father. After the loss of his baby boy, Will Lindstrom places his energy in young Callie, teaching her his love for the outdoors. Accepted into the world of men within her family and privy to their dreams and struggles, she learns to navigate waves of conflict and loss while realizing her own place in the world. This book is about lost time, the tenacity of the human spirit, and our narrator’s emerging consciousness as she passes from young girl to self-possessed woman. Delicate Armor is Callie’s tribute to the land and to her microcosm of men.
Midwest author, Connie Claire Szarke, grew up in “The Land of 10,000 Lakes.” A writer of fiction and poetry, she also taught high school French for many years. She enjoys playing classical piano, painting, alpine skiing, and kayaking with her Shetland sheepdogs near her home west of the Twin Cities. Much of her work has been published in literary journals and magazines, including The Talking Stick, Dust & Fire, Stories Teachers Tell, Lake Country Journal Magazine, and Community Connections: The Minnesota Project.
- November 19 - signing at The Reading Frenzy Bookshop in Zimmerman, 11:00-1:00 p.m.
- November 26 - signing at Cherry Street Books in Alexandria 11:00-2:00 p.m.
- November 29 - Lake Minnetonka Shores in Spring Park at 2:00 p.m.
- December 3 - Barnes & Noble Ridgedale/Minnetonka from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- December 5 - reading/signing at the Westonka Public Library in Mound at 6:00 p.m.
- December 6 - Common Good Books in Saint Paul - 7:30 p.m.
- December 16 - 11:15 a.m. telephone interview with Ron Specker, Party Line Talk Show, KLTF radio, Little Falls
- December 17 - Valley Books in Stillwater - 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- December 19 - Bookin' It in Little Falls - Scrooge Days
- December 21 - Gillespie Center in Mound - 10:45 a.m.
Amazon, Barnes & Noble, independent bookstores, and North Star Press of St. Cloud
North Star Press of St. Cloud