Friday, January 8, 2010

Christine Petersen - Rock On


Rock On!: A Look at Geology

by Christine Petersen

ABDO Publishing

Fantastic Fossils
Groovy Gems
Mighty Minerals
Outrageous Ores
Rockin' Rocks
Super Soils

Sparkling diamonds, oozing lava, giant crystals, and… dinosaur bones? How could these strange and special substances have anything in common? Find out when you examine the world of geology in the Rock On! series. Uncover how fossils form and what they can tell us about the past. Chip away at the three types of rock and unearth the importance of ores. Be dazzled by gems and discover Earth’s many minerals. Then, get your hands dirty with experiments you can do at home! With full-color photographs and easy-to-read text, you’ll dig the science of Earth.

BIOGRAPHY
I grew up exploring tidepools in a small town along the California coast. My parents encouraged my long, rambling stories during our evening beach walks. Along the way, both nature and narrative became integral to my awareness of the world.

My career began in the early 1990s, while I was employed as an assistant museum biologist. I loved the quiet museum work by day and was exhilarated by nighttime fieldwork on bats. A request to do public programs about my work made me nervous. I’m a bit of an introvert and expected to dislike this aspect of the job. But it was a perfect fit. I soon decided to make a career change into K-12 science education.

For nine years I taught at the Blake School in Minnesota. Writing children’s educational resource books became a summer occupation, but gradually encompassed more of my interest and time. In 2007 I decided it was time to try writing full-time. Educational literature remains my primary focus, but I’ve also recently begun to write a blog called "Intelligence with the Earth.” I look forward to finding new ways to merge nature and narrative in my life and work.

BLOG
http://www.christinepetersen.com/christines-blog.html

WEBSITE
www.christinepetersen.com