Thursday, October 15, 2009

Carrie Hartman - Author and Illustrator



Written by Trudy Harris

Millbrook Pr Trade

ISBN # 10: 0822590670


Author Trudy Harris retells the nursery rhyme, Hickory Dickory Dock, but with a few new twists. The book is about telling time and features a different clock on each spread. An hour goes by after each image and the chase between the mouse and cat gets longer and longer as more animals and characters join in. I was really excited to be asked to illustrate this particular book. I connected with the manuscript, the first time I read it. I knew this book needed energy, and zany characters. I enjoy working on books that allow me to throw a lot of exciting compositions and energy onto the pages. As a child, I was unable to sit still, so when I get a book project that allows me to be ‘hyper’ on the pages, I am in my element.

BIOGRAPHY
Carrie Hartman graduated from the Minneapolis College of Art & Design with her degree in Illustration. Her illustration work includes: editorial, children’s books and book illustration, character development, advertising, posters, greeting cards, comic books, stationary, animation projects and murals.

Carrie has received several illustration awards from the Los Angeles Society of Illustrators, Portfolios.com, the Association of Educational Publishers award for the best illustrated children’s book for the educational industry and recognition from the Educational Press Association.

Carrie is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and the Children’s Literature Network.

Carrie lives in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. She has 1 amazing husband, 3 incredible children and 2 pretentious pets.



by Carrie Hartman

The first picture book that I both illustrated and wrote is called Child of Mine, published by Maren Green Publishing. I didn’t actually intend for this book to be published.
Child of Mine is about the sometimes extreme highs and lows that come with being the parent and/or caregiver of a child that struggles emotionally. Whether it is ADHD/ADD, autism, anxiety, depression, ODD, or other reasons, it is difficult emotionally to ride this roller coaster. It is about how the parent and the child struggle and how to find hope through it all. When my book was on display at MCAD, I received countless emails from people who had seen the book and urged me to find a publisher. I was really touched to hear stories from people who said they related to the book either when they were growing up, perhaps due to a sibling, or they relate to it right now as a parent. Many people commented that my book made them cry. I admit, I wasn’t expecting that others were feeling the same way. All I can say, is I was as honest as I can be in the book. You are reading my very personal thoughts and seeing our struggles play out on the pages. It is truly a project that I will always be most proud of.
OTHER BOOKS ILLUSTRATED AND PUBLISHED
The Mischievous Mom At The Art Gallery
It’s Hard To Be A Verb
Child of Mine
Feelings to Share, from A to Z
Manners are Import
ant for You and Me
Personal Space Camp
My Mouth is a Volcano
Words
Numbers

WEBSITE
www.carriehartman.com
BLOG

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I am currently writing a few picture books. Also in the mix, I will be contributing several illustrations for a book project for a foundation called, Santa’s Traveling Workshop http://www.santastravelingworkshop.com/. The foundation provides gifts to children during the holidays in times of hardship due to hurricanes, disasters, losing a parent that has been killed in Iraq or Afghanistan, etc.